Hello there – bet I got your attention with that headline. Breaking News: All Facebook pages are going away. First of all it is not fact, it is a heart murmur of chatter on the web.
Why would FB take all pages down? Well I don’t have a clue as to how many FB pages are in existence but I can imagine that it is a problem especially after reading this comment I found on a popular social media site:
I’m hearing murmurs that ‘pages’ might go away and instead, Facebook might have us link directly to internal sources (websites) for businesses – they referred to ‘Pages’ as a bottleneck… Are you hearing anything similar? Could this be a first step?
My husband told me this morning that he has heard people say that their FB page is their website – are you freaking kidding me? You own your website. FB owns your page why would anyone ever consider using a FB page as a website?
We all know nothing is forever so this might be a really good time to do the following:
- Get a website if you do not have one. If the cost is holding you back, there are $500 website design people or you can be brave and use a WordPress theme and do it yourself.
- Update and improve your website if you do have one – keeping it current helps your page ranking. You are concerned about page ranking right?
- Get on other social media platforms. Everywhere I go, every social media conference I attend I ask the well-known speakers where they are on social media. The answer is Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn first and foremost. You have presence there right?
- Speaking of Google+ it’s Google hello! Great SEO and you will connect there with people who are not on FB.
- Email – it isn’t dead. You do have an email marketing program right?
- YouTube – it’s Google again – second largest search engine – you have a channel right?
You have to be out there. You cannot put all your eggs in one basket. I will leave you with this thought. You blog, right? Well this blog you are reading is self-hosted, I own it. WordPress can’t mess with it, it’s mine. Please tell me if you blog that you do it through .org and not .com ok? Right?
My disclaimer is that this is all just my opinion, my advice and totally a rumor but where there is smoke often there is what?