Mind mapping, who me? That was my reply to my fabulous massage therapist today – she is a holistic practitioner and a healer and so much more. She suggested I try it and I did not have the heart to say I had tried it before.
On the drive home I thought hard about my last trip down the highway of mind mapping and I just remember I gave up. I have an “oh look a squirrel” brain so when I tried it I felt I would need a white board bigger than my house.
Mind mapping requires you to make a diagram to visually organize information. I visualize squirrels. It did not work well for me.
My fabulous massage therapist told me to Google Tony Buzan and follow his directions – she swears I can do it.
This is what Buzan says to do and he left out paper or a white board:
- Start in the center with an image of the topic, using at least 3 colors.
- Use images, symbols, codes, and dimensions throughout your mind map.
- Select key words and print using upper or lower case letters.
- Each word/image is best alone and sitting on its own line.
- The lines should be connected starting from the central image. The lines become thinner as they radiate out from the center.
- Make the lines the same length as the word/image they support.
- Use multiple colors throughout the mind map, for visual stimulation and also for encoding or grouping.
- Develop your own personal style of mind mapping.
- Use emphasis and show associations in your mind map.
- Keep the mind map clear by using radial hierarchy or outlines to embrace your branches.
I keep seeing squirrels so I dug deeper and came up with this great link:
I will try it – I feel it might give me some clarity with some issues I need to put to rest. Coming from “BIG PHARMA” sales though I know all about giving fair balance. I looked for opinions that were not favorable to doing a mindmap. I did not exactly find a big “Don’t Mind Map” article, I did find this:
This article doesn’t say to not mindmap, it says when to stop.
I do intend to study it more because in business I think mindmapping can definitively set all of us on the right path if do it as Buzan suggests. Being married to an anal engineer I am going to have him do one right along side me – love will keep us together.
Have you ever done a mind map?